Джовеноне Джероламо
Saint Cecilia with donator. 1515-1525

Tempera on wood
121×52 cm
The Rumyantsev Museum
Ж-148
Byzantine Art. Italian Art of the 13th to 16th centuries View on the hall's virtual panorama

This work forms a pair with Inv. No. 150.

While in the Rumyantsev Museum both works were attributed to Marco d'Oggiono, and later to the Gaudenzio Ferrrari school, assumed to have been painted by Girolamo Giovenone. In the Pushkin Museum it was long held to be a work by Gaudenzio Ferrari. As early as 1913 H.Voss had suggested that the pictures in the Pushkin Museum had served as side panels of a triptych, painted by Gaudenzio Ferrari c. 1507 for the chapel of Sta. Margarita in the Church of Sta. Maria delle Grazie in Varallo. He considered that the Madonna and Child in the Pinacoteca Brera in Milan had been the central part of the triptych.

Provenance: acquired in Italy between 1886 and 1898 by D.A.Khomyakov (Moscow), who donated it to the Rumyantsev Museum in 1901; in the Pushkin Museum since 1924.

Go to the full description on "Italian painting in VIII-XX centuries" catalogue.
  • Tempera on wood
    121×52 cm
  • At the PMFA since 1924
    The Rumyantsev Museum
  • Ж-148
Show more
View on the hall's virtual panorama

Джовеноне Джероламо